Ajouter des stopwords français au plugin SEO de Yoast

Cette semaine je me suis attaqué à la configuration, pour un client, du plugin d’optimisation pour moteurs de recherche pour WordPress, de Yoast. Une de ses fonctions est de retirer les mots vides, ou “stopwords” des permaliens généré_s par WordPress. Ceci fait en sorte que des petits mots fréquent tel que “and” ou “or” ne sont pas inclus, accordant ainsi plus de place au mots porteurs de sens.

La théorie veut que ceci favorisant l’indexation du contenu dans les moteurs de recherche pour des bons mots clés.

Le plugin n’inclus que des mots vides anglais. Heureusement il prévoit un filtre pour modifier la liste des stopwords: wpseo_stopwords.

Continue reading

Drupal 7 inline menu item theming

Today I had to do a fairly common Drupal theming task, turning a menu block into a set of inline links. In pictures, I needed to go

from this: inline-links-2 to this:     inline-links-1

Since I usually do module dev and similar tasks for Koumbit, I was aware that Drupal already has a built in class for lists containing links that would display my links inline. That class is “links inline”. Unfortunately I wan’t sure how to go about changing those values at the theme layer. So I visited the API page of theme_menu_tree()hoping for some inspiration, and found some in this comment by wgsimon. A custom theme can override the theming of a specific menu item in Drupal 7 by using the pattern THEME_menu_tree__MENU_NAME().

Continue reading

Etherpad-lite performances – an ongoing saga

This all started with Julie writing to me to ask about collaborative editing software, and describing the project. She wanted to do a live projection and web broadcast of a collaborative editing session with several women. She had been thinking of piratepad but wanted a substantially different visuals.

I took a brief inventory of every collaborative editing software I knew of and had actually used:

I quickly wrote down my goals:

  1. It would be best to use a web based client to avoid having to install a client on multiple computers. This excluded gobby.
  2. I need to be able to run this thing on a laptop or on my puny little vserver.
  3. I need to be able to customize the look and feel of the interface for the performance.
  4. I would have to squeeze this project in around my regular working hours, so I needed to keep the number of new things to learn to a minimum.

After a couple of hours of cursory research, I quickly decided that etherpad-lite was the best candidate. I passed on my conclusions to Julie and we set a first meeting and test at the gallery, Skol.

Continue reading

Towards the Abolition of Privacy in Canada

I did this translation for my buddy Anarcat – to see the French original, go to his blog.

The conservative government, supported by the liberal "opposition", is presently working hard to establish a legal basis for greatly expanded telephone and electronic surveillance. In short, you can be spied on by your municipal, provincial and federal police without a warrant or any kind of warning. As a systems administrator for Koumbit.org I am tasked with ensuring the security and confidentitality of your data, and am deeply troubled by this possibility. Canada, recognised internationally as a beacon of freedom on the internet, would align itself with the current international trends, as represented by the United States, China, and the European Union.
Continue reading

Custom implementation of ffmpeg on an Ubuntu 8.10 server

Update (20 october 2009) – This is now two Ubuntu releases out of date, so please check some more recent sources before trying this.

I’ve been working for a while on a problem at the NFB where we are moving a Drupal site to a new server running Ubuntu Intrepid. The site depends on transcoding handled by the outdated Drupal video module. Because the video module did only a single-pass encode, NFB staff created a shell script to fool the video module and replace the single-pass encode with a double-pass encode that normalized the film audio.

The result was a generally better quality product. Now the problem is that this shell script uses ffmpeg for multiplexing at the end of the two-pass encoding process, and that the Ubuntu Intrepid ffmpeg package crashed gloriously on every multiplex.

So, I decided to compile a new ffmpeg package from source. But my problems with multiplexing didn’t end there. Many of the blog posts I found made mention of source patches for the ubuntu x264 package. Anyway, I finally found my answer in the ubuntu forums:
Continue reading